1940 - Naval Air Station San Diego Federal Credit Union was formed to provide credit union services to the military and civil service personnel on North Island Naval Air Station. Initially, loans were limited to $30 unsecured and $50 secured.
1955 - Total assets reached the half-million-dollar mark
1976 - The credit union was renamed North Island Federal Credit Union and the first two branches, Imperial Beach and El Cajon, were opened.
1982 - The Price Club becoming the first SEG added to the field of membership. SEGs are Select Employer Groups - businesses that have affiliated themselves with North Island Credit Union - and offer our services to their employees.
1980s and 1990s - A period of great expansion for The Island, both in terms of branches opened and range of financial products offered.
2000 - Our members approved a state charter. All consumers and small businesses in San Diego, Riverside and Orange Counties were now able to become members. We also changed our name to North Island Financial Credit Union.
2004 - We shortened our name to North Island Credit Union and introduced our new logo with an emphasis on the "Island".
2005 - Among other accolades, we received the prestigious Governor's Award for consistently demonstrating superior performance results and organizational excellence in accordance with the national Malcolm Baldrige criteria. In addition, The Island was named among the top 50 Best small & medium Companies to work for in America by the Great Place to Work Institute®
2008 - Our six-story headquarters building opened in Kearny Mesa, near the intersection of highways 805 and 52. This state-of-the-art facility embraces an environmentally-friendly design and was awarded LEED Silver certification. LEED certification provides independent, third-party verification that the building is environmentally responsible, profitable, and a healthy place to work. It features many employee-friendly design aspects to further enhance our position as an employer of choice in San Diego.